What is witch hazel?
It is an extract from the bark of a plant called Hamamelis virginiana. It has been used for skin care for centuries.
Why is witch hazel so good for your skin?
- It cleans skin and removes oil without being drying.
- It tones and contracts pores so that they appear smaller (dermatologists call this ‘astringent’, which means to contract tissue. In this case it is contracting your pores).
- It has anti-inflammatory properties to help sooth inflamed or red facial skin.
- It has proven antiseptic benefits, helping to fight Staph bacteria, Candida yeast and viruses such as herpes.
- It contains antioxidants to help fight damage to skin from free radicals due to environmental stress.
The two biggest reasons that witch hazel is so popular in skin care is that it helps reduce the appearance of pores and that it cleans skin without drying.
As a dermatologist, I know that clean skin is better able to absorb actives in your therapeutic skin care products. Whether your skin care routine is trying to fix acne or fight the signs of skin aging, know that dirt, oil, dead cells, makeup and product residue will block absorption. Using a witch hazel toner after cleansing your skin will help to get your skin even cleaner.
In addition, skin usually looks smoother, and more radiant and dewy when it is really clean – another benefit of witch hazel.
Let Dr. Bailey help.
Pick products from 1) Cleanse, 2) Correct, 3) Hydrate, 4) Protect.
Build your complete skin care regimen here!
Or view all her products for this search below.
View All 6 Products For This Search
Tolerant skin benefits from 10% glycolic acid, which I think is the ideal concentration to loosen black heads. These medicated pads perform this feat while lifting oil and debris from the skin.$26.00
Most regular acne products are irritating to sensitive skin, but this acne treatment kit delivers the best acne medications at levels that are appropriate for sensitive skin.$56.00
2% Glycolic Acid and 2% Salicylic Acid acne treatment medicines are strong enough to treat stubborn acne but gentle on sensitive skin.$20.50
Brighten your complexion with the extra clean that comes from using a gentle and non-drying toner after washing your facial skin.$31.50
Tolerant skin benefits from the high concentration of acne medicine in the Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit, Extra Strength.$65.00
Fade an uneven complexion almost instantly with the best pigment lightening products. Reverse fine lines and wrinkles and return your appearance to younger days. This kit has everything proven to do the job!$327.00